AGS Geography Teacher Fellow Application
AGS is pleased to present its second annual AGS Geography Teacher Fellows Program. In its first year, the program granted 50 Advanced Placement (AP) Human Geography Teachers the opportunity to interact with and become one of the nation’s thought leaders at the most important geography event in North America. This year, the program will once again select 50 AP Human Geography teachers to attend Geography 2050: The Future of Mobility. We will also randomly select five AGS Teacher Fellows who attended last year to serve as mentors at the upcoming Fall Symposium.
During Geography 2050, teachers will gain practical and cutting-edge information about the latest advancements in the geospatial world to their classrooms. In addition, the collective experience and expertise of these Geography Teacher Fellows will help guide the Society as we bridge the gap between geospatial tools and their access to the younger generation of thought leaders.
The teachers who are selected to become AGS Geography Teacher Fellows will receive
- complimentary registration for Geography 2050: The Future of Mobility on the 16th and 17th of November,
- engage in a Mapathon created exclusively for AGS Geography Teacher Fellows on the first day of the Symposium,
- participate in a day-long workshop on November 18th as a follow-up to the Symposium for teachers to debrief and learn how to utilize resources from the Symposium in classroom teaching. In addition, teacher fellows will have the opportunity to spend time one-on-one with AGS Council members,
- networking opportunities with the U.S.’s top geographic and geospatial experts from academic, business and government backgrounds,
- year-long partnership with AGS to make geospatial tools and their availability to the younger generation easily accessible,
- special recognition through an extensive public relations effort that notifies a teacher’s school and local media of selection as an AGS Geography Teacher Fellow, and
- A professional level affiliation with AGS for one year.
If you are an AP Human Geography teacher interested in becoming an AGS Teacher Fellow, apply HERE.
If you are a 2016 AGS Teacher Fellow and would like to attend the 2017 Fall Symposium, click HERE.
* Note that transportation and lodging for the Symposium are not included, although some school districts may consider matching or providing funds for teachers to attend the Symposium as well as offer “Professional Development” credit for participation. All participants will receive an official certificate acknowledging their selection as an AGS Geography Teacher Fellow that can be used as evidence of participation.
The AGS Geography Teacher Fellow Program is made possible by a generous grant from Boundless,
a leading provider of open source geospatial software and services.