Announcement Date: January 19, 1911
The Society moves to 3755 Broadway at 156th Street. The building was designed by Charles Pratt Huntington, while John Clark Udell served as the contractor. This three-story building was built on the land donated by Archer Milton Huntington’s mother. The building was originally designed with the first floor containing the Council Room, an office, a bulletin room, and an exhibition hall. On the second floor there was a receptionarea, with librarian and assistant librarian offices, a reading room and two editors’offices. The third floor contained the assistant editor office, the map room, the atlas room,the map curator, and two studies. All three floors possessed book stacks. As the evolutionand growth of the AGS progressed, the departments and their areas within the building changed. The Society remained at this location until 1981.