Since its founding, AGS membership has always included a wide spectrum of people involved in business, government, academe, the social sector, science, education, and the broader citizenry. This diverse membership has caused AGS to have a broad and comprehensive perspective on geography and how geography can affect local communities, our environment, public policy, national security, and human well-being worldwide. As such, we invite all geo-enthusiasts who share this inclusive definition of geography to join us.
|Become an AGS Fellow & help lead the advancement of Geography in your community, your nation and the world. The growing ranks of AGS Fellows are filled with fascinating people committed to making the world a better place through Geography!||Professionals of all kinds are joining the AGS to in order to help spread the good word about the Society’s many initiatives, and to help implement them both in their personal and professional contexts. Join today and help advance Geography!||Every student, teacher and retiree can help forge the future for Geography by joining AGS and helping serve as eyes and ears on the ground, connecting others to AGS initiatives, and providing critical input and feedback. You are Geography!||The AGS is a great platform for working with geographers and geospatial innovators from around the world. This special rate is meant to encourage engagement and collaboration with our developing world colleagues.|
PLEASE NOTE: If you are interested in becoming a Lifetime Member of the AGS for $2100, contact us at 917.745.8354 or email email@example.com. If you are interested in supporting the AGS as a Patron, and want to join the Galileo Circle, Humboldt Club, or Bowman Explorers levels, click here. If you sign up your company as a Corporate Sustaining Sponsor here, the annual membership for you and one or more of your colleagues may be included.
Your Membership Benefits Geography
Some organizations talk about the “Benefits of Membership” (and for those, see below). Affiliation with the AGS is also a way to promote geographic literacy, geographic thinking, geospatial innovation, and geographically informed public policy. By joining AGS your tax deductible contribution goes to fund initiatives across America. These include:
- resources and educational opportunities for high school AP Human Geography teachers who are part of the AGS Teacher Fellows,
- graduate student research through the AGS Council Fellowships,
- recognition of cartographic excellence through the AGS mapping contest
- service opportunities for high school and college students to give back to their communities through the Junior Fellows Program, Mapathons and GeoBadges,
- learning opportunities for professionals from every sector and citizens from every locale, especially through the Geography 2050 symposium series.
Connect. Serve. Learn. Join the American Geographical Society
Benefits of Joining
In addition to all the ways in which your joining AGS will benefit Geography, below is a list of the benefits that you will enjoy when you join the AGS.
- Ability to publish your own first-person #IAMGEO profile at americangeo.org/iamgeography/ to share your story with the world – and its worldwide promotion across social media and our global GoogleAds campaign.
- DailyGeo, our daily newsletter that delivers top international news with a geographic twist, delivered straight to your inbox.
- Notification of special opportunities to give back to your local community through Geographic fellowship and public service through Geography.
- Full digital access to AGS’s flagship publication, the Geographical Review, one of the world’s leading scholarly periodicals devoted exclusively to geography.
- Discounted registration rate for Geography 2050, our annual Symposium that brings professionals together from a variety of fields to discuss the vital trends that will reshape the geography of our planet in the coming decades.
- “Page charge waiver” for any member who contributes their writings to the Geographical Review and FOCUS on Geography.
- Fellows only: Preference for chairing and participating in AGS Symposium and events.
- Fellows only: Certification of Fellowship, AGS lapel pin, and first shot at AGS gear and gift opportunities.