The American Geographical Society (AGS) is no longer accepting applications from teachers who teach Advanced Placement (AP) Human Geography to become a 2017 AGS Geography Teacher Fellow.
Boundless, a leading provider of open source geospatial software and services, will be sponsoring the program for the second year in a row. This sponsorship will give 50 AP Human Geography teachers from across the United States the opportunity to become a Teacher Fellow and attend Geography 2050: The Future of Mobility. We will also randomly select five AGS Teacher Fellows who attended last year’s conference to serve as mentors at the upcoming Fall Symposium.
This year, Geography 2050 will focus on The Future of Mobility and will be held on November 16 and 17, 2017 at Columbia University in New York City. The AGS Symposium, which will be held November 17 and 18, 2016 at Columbia University in New York City, brings together recognized leaders in business, government, science, and education that might not otherwise have the opportunity to interact, and provide opportunities for discussion, debate, and collaboration to further the understanding of how geography is going to shape the future of our world. Selected Teacher Fellows will gain practical and relevant information about the latest advancements in the geographical sciences.
Teacher Fellows will receive:
- complimentary registration for Geography 2050
- have the opportunity to engage in an exclusive Mapathon
- recognition through an extensive PR effort which will notify schools and local media of each selected AGS Geography Teacher Fellow
- meetings with the USA’s top geographical experts during the Symposium
- participation in a day-long workshop on November 18th as a follow-up to the Symposium to debrief and learn how to utilize resources from the Symposium in classroom teaching
- 1 year complimentary professional level affiliation with AGS
April 25, 2017 – June 30, 2017 —— Acceptance of applications
July 10, 2017 ————————–Announcement of selections
November 16 and 17, 2017————–AGS Symposium
*Note that transportation and lodging for the Symposium are not included although some school districts may consider matching or providing funds for teachers to attend the Symposium as well as offer “Professional Development” credit for participation. All participants will receive a certificate acknowledging their selection as an AGS.