Scholar Internship Program
The American Geographical Society (AGS) offers a Scholar-Internship Program throughout the year at its headquarters in Brooklyn Heights, New York for those interested in spreading geographical awareness through blogging, social media, and mapping. Undergraduate and graduate students who have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.2 are eligible to apply. During the Spring and Fall semesters, the internship program runs for 15 weeks with 15 hours per week spent at AGS HQ. The Summer internship runs for 15 weeks with 35 hours per week spent at AGS HQ.
As a Scholar Intern you will be tasked with:
- Writing weekly blog posts on the websites UBIQUE and Connect2Conserve
- Writing articles for DailyGeo, the AGS’s daily newsletter on current world events
- Managing the AGS’s social media pages
- Creating a map once a week to be showcased on the AGS website
- Aiding in writing and proofreading various material
- Helping with big picture projects relating to AGS initiatives
- ArcGIS (only if interested in mapping, not a required skill).
Upon completion of the program, students will be awarded a scholarship of $500.00 for the Spring/Fall and $1,000.00 during the Summer. In addition, we do provide a local monthly transportation stipend. If you are interested, email your application materials and be sure to indicate which program (Summer, Fall, Spring) you are applying for.
- Unofficial academic transcript
- Resume & cover letter
- Course Schedule (If applying for Fall/Spring Internship.)
- GIS project sample and write up (Max 200 words. Only send if you are interested in mapping.)
E-mail all application materials to email@example.com.