GEOGRAPHY TEACHER FELLOWS INITIATIVE
The American Geographical Society’s (AGS) Geography Teacher Fellows Initiative is a selective nationwide professional development program for high school Human Geography Teachers. The Initiative was started in 2016 as a means to recognize APHG teachers and provide them with special opportunities for professional development. Since its inception, the AGS Geography Teacher Fellows initiative has gained recognition within the Human Geography teaching community as a resourceful community to be a part of. As the initiative grows, so do the opportunities we provide teachers such as webinars, mapathons and mapping contests.
Every summer, 50 Human Geography teachers are chosen to participate in a year-long professional development partnership with AGS. Throughout the year, chosen Fellows are provided opportunities to expand on their geographic and geospatial knowledge and awareness by engaging in a number of activities. These activities are designed to equip teachers with a skillset that is easily transferable in a classroom setting, in an effort to prepare the next generation of geographic thinkers.
Click here to read an important update about the AGS Geography Teachers Initiative.
TEACHER FELLOW BENEFITS
Over the course of the selected year, Teacher Fellows are eligible for:
- Complimentary registration to Geography 2050: The Future of the World Ocean
- Participation in an exclusive Mapathon with TeachOSM (OpenStreetMap)
- Participation in a Workshop centered on Symposium presentations and how to transfer information to a classroom setting
- DailyGeo, our #1 classroom resource, delivered straight to your inbox every weekday
- Semester long Web-mapping webinar series designed to introduce OpenStreetMap to your classroom
- Nation-wide Mapping Contest with other Teacher Fellows
- Professional development certificates to count toward development hours (upon request).
- Continued participation in online professional development Teacher Fellow activities.
- A lifetime professional level affiliation with AGS.
Click on the + and – buttons to zoom in and out of the map. Click on the >> symbol to view the legend and map details.
The AGS Geography Teacher Fellows Initiative is made possible through the generous contributions and volunteer efforts of our sponsors and contributors. Click on their logos to go directly to their sites