Geography teachers: Apply for Geo-BOOST today!
AGS will award high school geography teachers grants to host a geography or geospatial focused classroom activity of their design. As part of AGS’s commitment to geographic education, we are instituting Geo-BOOST: a new opportunity for teachers to apply for additional resources for their classroom.
AGS will award $300 to twenty-eight (28) nationwide geography teachers and $500 to eight (8) AGS Geography Teacher Fellows who apply for and demonstrate a clearly defined geography/geospatial-related activity for their classroom.
Please note: Late applications or applications that do not fit the eligibility requirements will not be considered.
Submission Guidelines and Requirements
- All applicants must submit a proposal. Proposals should contain:
– A brief description of the proposed activity.* (<150 words)
– A 2-5 line budget justification.
- Activity must include student participation.
- Proposals that display creativity or a unique vision will be given priority- think outside the box!
– Ask yourself: Does my idea have outreach impact across my school or community? How can my activity promote geography?
- Grant winners must submit a brief summary of the completed activity by March 31, 2021 to be featured on the AGS website.
*AGS is not limiting the types of funded activities. Possible activities include field trips, inviting a speaker, hosting a mapathon or open source mapping session, organizing a GEOPlunge or GEOcache session, organizing a local TED talk, joint activity with local community/business organizations or another school (even including matching funds), ordering food for after-school review. Be creative!
Looking for inspiration? Check out how your colleague, Mrs. Celeste Reynolds, used AGS funding to orchestrate a TEDx talk at Mashpee High School. Use your imagination and start brainstorming!
- Teachers of Geography in the 2019-2020 academic year may apply.
- Only 1 application per geography teacher will be considered.
- Use of funding must be aligned with your school’s conduct rules and ethics and approved by your principal.
After Being Selected
- Acquire approval of activity from principal or superintendent to receive funding.
- Obtain school’s W-9 form for tax compliance.
- Conduct activity and submit brief summary by March 31, 2020.
Note: funding will be received by your school. The school must agree to distribute the funds to your classroom.
Geo-BOOST Application and Selection Timeline
- January 2 – 31, 2020 —————————— Teachers Submit Applications
- Mid-February, 2020 ——————————— Announcement of Selected of Winners
- March 2o2o – March 2021 ——————————– Execution of Funded Activity
- March 31, 2021——————————————- Deadline to Submit Final Summary