Geography Educator Initiative
The American Geographical Society is dedicated to the advancement of geographic thinking, knowledge, and understanding across all sectors, but most importantly for teachers and students. We are proud to support teachers of Advanced Placement Human Geography (APHG), whose commitment to increasing geographic literacy and understanding among secondary students is unparalleled in the US education system. We offer a variety of resources and benefits for APHG teachers, which are described in more detail below, and we are always excited to receive feedback and new ideas from teachers and students alike.
To ask questions about our teacher support program or to share ideas, please contact us at email@example.com.
Resources and Benefits for Teachers
AGS is committed to providing all of our resources and support at no cost to AP Human Geography teachers and their school districts. Teachers can access resources through the links below:
- Lesson and project plans for the APHG classroom on topics including careers in geography and GIS, ethical dilemmas related to location data, gerrymandering and the role of maps in redistricting, data literacy, and a comprehensive list of recommended books, films, and games. We create and release new content regularly!
- Subscription to DailyGeo, a short daily news blast highlighting the ubiquitous nature of geography’s role in headline stories that is delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.
- Subscription to our monthly teacher newsletter, launching in August 2021. The newsletter will feature updates on new lesson and project plans, professional development opportunities, special events and funding opportunities, and more.
- GeoBoost, an AGS program that provides micro grants to APHG teachers to enhance their students’ geographic learning through the purchase of a geography/geospatial-related activity or resource.
- Training on OpenStreetMap (OSM) in partnership with TeachOSM. Learn how to edit the map yourself, how to teach your students, and why OSM is such a unique and valuable tool for the human geography classroom.
- Professional development opportunities and special events, including teacher-led webinars on key topics, teacher workshops during our annual Geography 2050 Fall Symposium, and chances to earn professional development and continuing education credits.
The AGS Geography Teacher Fellows Initiative is made possible through the generous contributions and volunteer efforts of our sponsors and contributors. Click on their logos to go directly to their sites.