Geography teachers: Apply for GeoBOOST
Imagine: you’re on your way to school one day, and it starts raining cash. You catch $300, and you want to use it for your students. What would you buy?
This year, the American Geographical Society’s Geography Educator Initiative is offering AP Human Geography teachers across the United States a chance to enhance their students’ learning with GeoBoost. Through the GeoBoost program, we will provide 60-70 teachers with $300 grants to purchase geography or geospatial-related activities or resources. It’s easy to apply, and your odds of being selected are high!
We are eager to see the new geographical ideas and experiences you bring to your classroom. Apply today!
How to Apply
Geography teachers must complete a short, simple application which asks for:
- Contact and school information
- One brief paragraph describing how you would use the funds to enhance learning in your classroom
- A 2-5 line budget justification
Click here to access the application. Applications will be evaluated by an inclusive committee consisting of AP Human Geography teachers, American Geographical Society Councilors, and staff.
Successful recipients must also submit a short, simple final report at the end of the school year, which includes:
- One brief paragraph describing how you used the funds to enhance learning in your classroom
- If possible, a picture showing how you used the funds
- Pictures showing students’ faces must be covered by your school’s image use policy
We encourage all applicants to subscribe to DailyGeo, our short digital daily newsblast highlighting the ubiquitous role of geography in headline stories.
- August 19th, 2021: GeoBoost application for the 2021-2022 school year opens
- October 15th, 2021: Application closes at 11:59pm ET
- October 31st, 2021: AGS will notify successful applicants
- November 8th, 2021: AGS will distribute funds
- June 15th, 2022: Deadline to spend funds
- July 15th, 2022: Deadline to submit final report
Get Inspired by Past GeoBoost Recipients
Previous GeoBoost recipients have successfully used their funding to purchase a wide variety of resources and activities, including:
- Digital film and book libraries
- Geospatial technology, including a drone, thermal camera, environmental meter, Google Expedition Goggles, and virtual reality headset
- A field trip to the Los Angeles Chinese American Museum
- Materials for a Model UN simulation
- Hydro garden equipment
- Lego kits for model building
- Video call equipment to improve online learning and connect with global guest speakers
- Innovative curriculums developed in partnership with external organizations, and more!
To learn more about these projects, zoom in to the interactive map below:
Please note that GeoBoost is generously funded by Dean Wise, LLC. Mr. Wise is a Councilor of the American Geographical Society and is committed to enhancing geographical education across the United States.